Ramona, Calif., April 19, 2016 – Eight winery members of the Ramona Valley Vineyard Association (RVVA) received a total of 25 medals from the annual, largest-ever New York Finger Lakes International Wine Competition, known as the biggest charitable wine competition. This year’s event reviewed a total number of entries of 3,827 wines from more than 900 wineries in all 50 states, six Canadian provinces, and 26 different nations.
Seventy well-known national and international sommeliers, educators, enologists, winemakers, writers, importers, retailers and industry consultants awarded 151 Double Gold, 273 Gold, 1,793 Silver and 1,102 Bronze medals.
Awards received by RVVA wineries include double gold medals to Cactus Star Vineyard for Scaredy Cat Ranch 2012 Estate Tempranillo; and Highland Valley Vineyard’s Barbera 2013.
“The Ramona Valley Vineyard Association congratulates not only these medal winners, but all of its members—winemakers, grape growers, and supporters—for their collaboration to work together to produce outstanding wine and grow our region,” said Micole Moore, president of the association.
Medals were awarded to:
Altipiano Vineyard and Winery
- Gold: Estate Reserve Sangiovese 2013
- Silver: Super Tuscan – red blend Vinifera 2013
- Silver: Cabernet Franc 2013
- Silver: Merlot 2013
Cactus Star Vineyard at Scaredy Cat Ranch Winery
- Double gold: Scaredy Cat Ranch 2012 Estate Tempranillo
- Silver: Scaredy Cat Ranch 2013 Estate Meritage (Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot, Malbec)
- Silver: Two Dogs Barking 2013 Syrah
- Silver: Two Dogs Barking 2015 Viognier
Castelli Family Vineyards
- Silver: Syrah 2013
- Silver: Sangiovese 2013
- Bronze: Pinot Noir 2014
Highland Valley Vineyards
- Double gold: Barbera 2013
Mahogany Mountain Vineyard and Winery
- Silver: Syrah 2011
Poppaea Vineyard and Winery
- Silver: Barbera 2014
- Silver: Tiberius red blend Sagrantion, Sangiovese 2014
- Bronze: Montepulciano 2014
Ramona Ranch Vineyard and Winery
- Silver: Zinfandel 2012
- Silver: Merlot 2013
- Bronze: Montepulciano Tickled Pink 2014
Woof’n Rose Winery
- Gold: Estate Meritage 2012 (Eglantine – 5 Bordeaux varietals)
- Silver: Estate Petit Verdot 2012
- Silver: Estate Cabernet Franc 2012
- Silver: Estate Cabernet Franc Reserve 2011
- Bronze: Estate Grenache Noir 2012
- Bronze: Estate Merlot 2012
All proceeds from the competition and subsequent events benefit Camp Good Days and Special Times, a not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for children and families all over the world, whose lives have been touched by cancer and other life-threatening challenges.
For more information and a complete list of winners from the 2016 Finger Lakes International Wine Competition, please visit www.fliwc.com.
About the Ramona Valley Vineyard Association (RVVA)
The Ramona Valley Vineyard Association (RVVA) was founded in 2001 and dedicated “to promote, protect and enhance the Ramona Valley American Viticulture Area (AVA), our wines, vintners and community.” Largely responsible for securing the federally designated Ramona Valley American Viticulture Area (AVA) in 2006, the RVVA continues to focus on community, education, sustainable operation of vineyards and wineries, and taking a leadership role within the San Diego County wine grape industry. For more information about the RVVA and its members: http://www.ramonavalleyvineyards.com
Contact: Joyce Strand (408) 210-2422 cell